From April 28, 2023 in American cinemas with A24 Beau is Afraidthe latest feature film from acclaimed director Ari Aster, previously known for horror blockbusters Hereditary – The roots of evil And Midsommar – The village of the damned. The film described as a surrealist horror chronicling the life journey of one of the “most successful entrepreneurs of all time” named Beau, played by Joaquin Phoenix.
Beau Is Afraid – Plot and cast
The official plot: “Beau Is Afraid” is described as a decades-old surrealist horror set in an alternate present. Joaquin Phoenix plays Beau, an extremely anxious but pleasant-looking man who has a difficult relationship with his overbearing mother and has never known his father. When his mother dies, he embarks on a journey home that involves some wild supernatural threats.
The film’s cast also includes Nathan Lane, Amy Ryan, Patti LuPone, Kylie Rogers, Parker Posey, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Hayley Squires, Denis Ménochet and Armen Nahapetian as a teenage Beau.
Beau Is Afraid – Trailer and Video
Trivia about the movie
- This film is apparently based on an earlier short film by Ari Aster titled “Beau”. A 2014 draft script of the full version has been circulated on the Internet and is widely admired and anticipated by fans of the writer/director.
- The film was described by Ari Aster as a “nightmarish wacky comedy”.
- “Beau Is Afraid” reportedly cost $60 million, making it A24’s largest production to date. The film marks Ari aster and A24’s third collaboration after the horror hits “Hereditary” and “Midsommar.”
- Before his death, actor Billy Mayo, a longtime collaborator of director Ari Aster, was slated to star.
- The film was originally titled “Disappointment Boulevard” but was changed to “Beau Is Afraid”.
- Joaquin Phoenix and Parker Posey previously worked together in Irrational Man (2015). Actor Stephen McKinley Henderson described Aster and Phoenix as “very nice…the way they work together it was like they were really old friends. They could get angry and reconciled within seconds. But work was always better for it.”
- The film was shot in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, a suburb off the island of Montreal in Quebec, with cinematographer Pawel Pogorzelski and production designer Fiona Crombie.
- The original music of the film is by The Haxan Cloak stage name of Bobby KrlicBritish composer, artist, music producer and musician in his second collaboration with director ari Aster after the horror film “Midsommar”.
- The Haxan Cloak has released two full-length albums (2011’s The Haxan Cloak and 2013’s Excavation). As a producer, Krlic has worked with artists such as Björk, Father John Misty, Khalid, Troye Sivan, Goldfrapp, Serpentwithfeet and The Body. He has also composed several soundtracks, credited with his real name, including the crime Code 999 and tv series like Shooters, The alienist And Snowpiercer.
Beau Is Afraid – Photos and Posters